The Centre County Historical Society has historic maps and modern reproductions on display and available for purchase. These maps include:
- 1861 Topographical Map of Centre County by S.D. Tilden
- The original is on display in the Centre Furnace Mansion Hearth Room. Personalized copies of towns and townships are available for print through our museum store.
- This map has been digitized by the Penn State University Libraries, and can be viewed online.
- 1874 Atlas of Centre County by A. Pomeroy & Co.
- This atlas was created from actual surveys by and under the direction of Beach Nichols. Hardbound copies of this atlas are available for purchase through our museum store and online.
- 1861 Flour Mills of Centre County by Rick Fourroux (2012)
- This inventory of historic mill sites was gathered by Robert McLaughlin, and published by Penn State GIS student Rick Fourroux. Copies are available for print through our museum store.
Maps available on our website:
- Interactive Historic Resources Map
- This map shows the locations of Historic Site Markers, Historic Sites, National Register Sites, Parks, Museums, Historic Districts and Galleries in Centre County.
- Centre County School District’s Iron Histories
- Each school district has a unique iron making history which shaped the industry and the growing communities of that area.
Archives Use: Researchers requesting use of archival records should make an appointment at least 2 weeks ahead by calling the office at (814) 234–4779. Our volunteer researchers will do a preliminary search, and pull records to assist you.
Research Requests: Requests for research can be made by contacting the office at (814) 234–4779. The research is conducted by volunteers, so please allow at least 2 weeks for processing. Photocopy and digitization fees may apply.