1001 E. College
Welcome to the Centre Furnace Mansion. The Mansion, which served as the ironmaster’s residence for Centre Furnace, has been restored and furnished to reflect the period of residency (1842-1891) of ironmaster Moses Thompson and his family. In 1855, Moses Thompson and business partner James Irvin donated 200 acres of land to initiate the Farmers’ High School – which later became The Pennsylvania State University.
This National Register site includes the Centre Furnace Mansion, furnace stack, and surrounding eight acres, representing a small portion of the late 18th-century ironmaking village once located here. Its interpretation is based on historical documentation and archaeological research, and includes carefully landscaped grounds with walkways and period inspired gardens.
This historic house museum also serves as headquarters, library, and archives for the Centre County Historical Society and its year-round programming and events. Permanent and rotating exhibits are featured in the Mansion, and the adjacent exhibit building, throughout the year. A mansion in miniature, identical to the original and scaled one inch to one foot, is also on permanent display.